Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Craving

Yesterday was Fat Tuesday, and I went crazy with eating my fair share of chocolate.  Sweets is the one thing that I absolutely crave all of the time.  So I decided to give it up for Lent.  And now that the reality is staring me in the face, I can't stop thinking about sweets... chocolate... cookies... all of those good sweet things that I just crave non-stop.

"Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good." (1 Peter 2:2)

A funny thing happens to me when I crave chocolate... I can't rest until I get some.  I might be able to put it off for a little while, but sooner or later, that craving takes control of me and I have to feed myself chocolate.  Once I have that wonderful delicious taste of chocolate, you think that I would be satisfied.  Not the case with me.  I want more.  I could literally eat myself till I was sick if the craving continues.   

"My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times." (Psalm 119:20)

I am living in a time right now where I feel close to tears on most days.  It isn't that there is anything wrong.  There is nothing dramatic going on in my life.  But I still feel close to tears for whatever reason, and I feel very moved to draw closer to God.  Right now as I type this, I have Pandora Radio up, and the station that I chose to listen to today is a station with classic hymns.  They feed by soul, just like every little drop of Scripture that I hear lately is doing.  I wish I understood why I crave God and his presence, His Word, faith songs sometimes and not others.  But I won't think too much about it because right now I am craving, and it is good.

"Oh God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water." (Psalm 63:1)

We are made to crave.  We crave things of beauty... crave things that taste good...  crave money... crave power... crave crave crave!  But what we don't realize is that none of those things will ever satisfy.  We will never feel satisfied by food.  We never feel satisfied by stuff.  We will always want more and more and more.  We are made to crave one thing, and one thing only... the only one that will satisfy us... God.  We are made to crave a relationship with him... a deeper understanding of God.  We are made to crave His Word.  We are made to crave God.  

"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God." (Psalm 42:1) 

No comments:

Post a Comment