Thursday, January 23, 2014

Empowered… Living by the Spirit

With my sister being in Africa for the next 6 months, and with all the worry that comes for her safety while she is there, I have decided to fast once a week and be intentional about being in prayer for her.  Now, fasting is not one of my favorite things to do at all.  I love food… plan my day around it.  But with my Made To Crave study and my focus on changing my hear this year, I thought it was even more important for me to fast once a week and to be intentional in seeking God.

So Wednesdays this year are my fast days.  My husband has so graciously agreed to fast with me.  And for the most part, I am shocked at how I can keep my focus away from food for that one day.  I can really focus my attention on other things and not on when I am going to get my next food fix.  The bad thing is that when I go "off" the fast, I go crazy! Again, a heart issue that I have to work on.

I am learning a lot through fasting.  One is that for that one day, food doesn't have the same hold on me that it does for the other 6 days.  Completely removing food from the equation makes it so there is no battle to fight.  Now obviously, I can't completely remove food out of my life, but it shows me that it has less power over my life than I allow it to have.  I feel empowered over food in those hours of fasting, and it is a wonderful feeling.  Another thing that I learn is to focus on God, praying every time I feel hunger pains.  I not only lift up my sister and her journey in Africa, but it helps me be even more intentional at praying for those who I know are struggling.

While I know there will be struggles through this journey of fasting, I am feeling empowered by the lessons that I am learning so far.  And I know that by submitting myself to God, I can resist temptations and not be conformed to this world.

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature" (Galatians 5:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment