Monday, February 10, 2014

It's Not Fair! (the real truth)

"It's not fair!"  How many times have I heard that from my two wonderful boys?  Way too many to count, not definitely not worth my time to even try.  For some reason, I always thought it was a phase that most of us contributing to society adults grew out of.  However, this morning, I was challenged in my Made To Crave journey… challenged to see that I live in the "it's not fair" world.

"It's not fair that she is so skinny, yet eats all of that junk food!"
"It's not fair that I have to workout every day just to maintain!"
"It's not fair that I can eat that yummy (yet very unhealthy) food that I absolutely love!"
"It's not fair that I have to struggle with food for my entire life!"
"IT'S NOT FAIR!"

And then I read Chapter 10 in Made to Crave and got a huge slap to the face wake up call.  Now I am forced to look at the truth.  What is the truth?  The truth is what I tell my children every day, "Life isn't fair".  "Yes, it isn't fair… and?"

I was made for more than to get stuck in this lie that life isn't fair.  So what if it isn't?  It doesn't change anything that is set before me.  And really, on the grand scheme of things, is this really the worst that life could throw at me?  Absolutely not!  There are so many others that have to go through far more, and it really isn't fair for them, yet they put a smile on their face and face the "not fairs" in their life instead of getting stuck in the "it's not fair" world.

So I choose to say "so what?" to my "it's not fairs".  It's not fair that I can't eat what I want.  So what?  It gives me an opportunity to rely on God and grow closer to him.   It's not fair that I keep craving that yummy chocolate bar.  So what?  It gives me an opportunity to pray and seek the strength of God to get through this moment.  It's not fair that I struggle with food constantly.  So what?  It gives me the opportunity to change the way I see food and allows me the chance to truly be healthy, not only with my body, but also with my thoughts and spiritually.

From this day forward, I am turning my "it's not fairs" into "so whats?"  I will focus on the truth and not on the lies that are continually thrust into my mind.  And I will focus on the TRUTH, my God who loves me and wants me to continue to draw closer to him throughout this entire process.

"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father but through me" -John 14:6

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I love your response to your "it's not fairs"! What a great attitude.

    P.S. I'm a mom to two boys as well. Mine are 15 and 17! Where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights! I will have to start using that "so what" line :) I appreciate your positive attitude and encouragement. Have a GREAT week! ~ Miriam of http://cravingsconfidential.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete