Monday, February 24, 2014

Standing in the truth!

Confession: I still wake up every morning and step on the scale.  It isn't that I am looking for a huge drop in my weight… a miracle answer to my prayer to get off these 30+ pounds that need to be shed.  I now step on the scale just to make sure that I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.  It is a way for me to be accountable.

Yesterday morning, I stepped on the scale and was up half a pound.  Not a big deal.  It wasn't a huge gain and I know that the day before, I worked out hard and I ate the healthy foods for me.  So when I stepped on the scale this morning, I was hoping for a little loss (perhaps that half a pound that I gained the day before, just so everything evened out).  Instead, I got the same number… still up half a pound.

With the weight loss slowing way down the last week, this gain in half a pound would usually send me straight towards the freezer eating the entire bag of homemade cookies that my mother-in-law made for my boys.  After all, why eat healthy if there will be no results?  Why "deprive" myself of all the yummy chocolate chips in those wonderful cookies when it doesn't really matter anyway?

TRUTH- I am more than just a number on the scale!!

TRUTH- I am made for more than this vicious cycle with food and turning to it when things don't go the way I think they should.

TRUTH- I have been obedient in my eating, and that is what matters!

TRUTH- God sees my heart… he is concerned with my heart… he is not concerned with the number on the scale!

So today, instead of running towards the freezer, or towards the office with all of the yummy dark chocolates, I am going to stand in the truth!  I choose truth, not lies!

1 comment:

  1. Cody - YES! Stand in truth. We are not depriving ourselves. We are making small, sanctifying sacrifices as a way of pursuing holiness. Short-term losses with a long-term vision. Blessings! ~ Miriam

    ReplyDelete